(Oct. 25, 2019) It’s undeniable that staging can help sell a home.
The National Association of Realtors 2019 survey of over 2,000 Realtors provided perspective from the buyers’ agent viewpoint, the sellers’ agent viewpoint and buyer expectations.
Buyers agent perspective summary:
• Forty percent of buyers’ agents cited that home staging had an effect on most buyers’ view of the home.
• Eighty-three percent of buyers’ agents said staging a home made it easier for a buyer to visualize the property as a future home.
• Staging the living room was found to be most important for buyers (47 percent), followed by staging the master bedroom (42 percent) and the kitchen (35 percent).
• One-quarter of buyers’ agents said that staging a home increased the dollar value offered between 1 and 5 percent, compared to other similar homes on the market that are not staged.
Sellers’ agent perspective summary:
• The median dollar value spent on home staging was $400.
• When staging a home, 22 percent of sellers’ agents reported an increase of 1 to 5 percent of the dollar value offered by buyers, in comparison to similar homes.
• Seventeen percent of respondents stated that staging a home increased the dollar value of the home between 6 and 10 percent.
• The most common rooms that were staged included the living room (93 percent), kitchen (84 percent), master bedroom (78 percent) and the dining room (72 percent).
• The most common home improvement items agents recommended to sellers were decluttering the home (95 percent), entire home cleaning (89 percent), removing pets during showings (83 percent) and carpet cleaning (78 percent).
Buyer Expectations summary:
• Only 10 percent of respondents cited that buyers felt homes should look the way they were staged on TV shows.
• Thirty-eight percent of respondents said that TV shows, which displayed the buying process, impacted their business.
• Fifty-eight percent of respondents stated that they were not influenced to stage homes as they saw them on TV.
— Lauren Bunting is a licensed Associate Broker with Bunting Realty, Inc. in Berlin.