e

(Nov. 22, 2019) The following took place on Monday’s Ocean City Council meeting:

Consent agenda

The council approved minutes a private event approval request for the Ocean City Winterfest of Lights 5K on Dec. 8, a private event and 2022 date hold for Cruisin’ OC and a bid award for the painting of the Gorman Avenue water tank and airport hangars. 

D & M Painting received the bid for the Gorman water tank project at $351,800, and APEX Business Solutions received the bid for the airport hangar project at $119,423. 

Councilman Dennis Dare did not approve of the Cruisin’ OC event, citing past incidents where pedestrians and officers were struck by cars. 

“If we can restore the civility of the event. I’ll be glad to vote for it in the future,” he said.

The following took place last Monday, Nov. 12, during an Ocean City Council work session;

Fund transfer

THE council approved the transfer of $7,000 from the stormwater mitigation funds for a backflow project. 

Twenty-two In-Line backflow valves will be installed between Fifth and 17th Street, as well as the Little Salisbury neighborhood. 

The Maryland Emergency Management Agency has committed to fund 75 percent of the project, to a maximum contribution of $88,742, and the city will be responsible for the remaining 25 percent. 

Fall update

Maryland State Highway Administration representatives gave a status report to the council on multiple state highway projects. 

Of the 14 projects presented, the following are active projects and have set schedules: Route 50 Bridge concrete repairs, milling, resurfacing and tender house improvements, West Ocean City Route 50 bike trail, Philadelphia Avenue sidewalk replacement, milling and resurfacing, storm drain catch basin cleaning and new Americans with Disabilities Act ramp designs. 

The following projects require further study or had no updates: modifications to Route 50 Bridge median on Philadelphia Avenue, fencing and lighting along Coastal Highway, traffic light installation on Third Street and Philadelphia Avenue, 

Some projects were not under the administration’s authority, such as dualization of Route 90 and Chesapeake Bay bridge repairs.

Future meetings

Tourism Commission — tentatively scheduled for Dec. 9, at 1 p.m. in the Roland E. Powell Convention Center, room 214 on 40th Street. 

Transportation Committee — Dec. 10, at 9 a.m. in the Public Works Administration conference room on 204 65th St.

Bike Committee — Dec. 11, at 2 p.m. in the City Hall executive conference room. 

Green Team — Dec. 11, at 3:30 p.m. in the City Hall executive conference room. 

To see the meeting minutes for each committee check out https://oceancitymd.gov/oc/departments/city-clerk/standing-committees/ and click on minutes and agenda archives

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.