(Oct. 9, 2020) Coastal communities can let out a sigh of relief, as time has killed the federal government’s efforts to blast the ocean with deafening sound waves to search for oil, as permits to do so are set to expire next month and will not be renewed.
According to The Washington Post’s Dino Grandoni, nine state attorneys general and several conservation groups slapped the Trump Administration with a lawsuit last year to block the seismic blasting in an attempt to protect sea creatures.
According to Grandoni’s article, Donna Wieting, director of the National Marine Fisheries Service, a division of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said the permits would not be renewed, as her agency had no authority to do so.
Even if the permits had been renewed, the five companies that received permits would have to restart the months-long process leading to approval or denial.
“The expiration of these unlawful permits will finally protect coastal communities and our marine life,” said Diana Hoskins, campaign director of environmental group Oceana. “Oceana has been campaigning for more than a decade to protect our coast from dirty and dangerous offshore drilling activities. We are going to do everything in our power to permanently protect our coasts and ensure dynamite-like blasting never starts.”