Sinepuxent Bay marshes

The marshes off Sinepuxent Bay were the site of a grisly discovery Sunday morning, when South Point resident Tom Johnson discovered the body of 22-year-old Parmanjot Singh near a dock on his property. The Worcester County Bureau of Investigations is looking into how Singh died and how his body ended up there, but foul play is not expected.

The body of a 22-year-old Delaware man was pulled from the South Point marshes along Sinepuxent Bay Sunday morning.

At approximately 7:30 a.m., South Point resident Tom Johnson noticed Parmanjot Singh’s body near a dock on his property, which extends into the marshes.

Authorities from the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and the Maryland State Police responded to the scene, with the Natural Resources police recovering the body via the nearby public South Point boat ramp.

The cause of death is pending given a medical examiner’s findings, according to Det. Sgt. Jason Ramey of the Worcester County Bureau of Investigations, the agency handling the case.

Ramey added that foul play is not suspected.

News of the incident spread quickly through the South Point community, said South Point Homeowners Association President Mike LeCompte.

LeCompte has experience with both the Ocean City Volunteer Fire Department and as a reservist in the United States Coast Guard. Drawing from his experience on the water, he said it’s highly unlikely Singh’s body made it to the Sinepuxent marshes from the ocean.

“(Due) to the curvature on the (Ocean City) Inlet, anything that comes out of the ocean will always turn north and go toward the Route 50 bridge,” LeCompte said.

 “It’s really narrow there. For a body to wash up anywhere from the ocean, to come down the Sinepuxent Bay, … I don’t see it happening. “

Johnson said that judging by the man’s clothing, he didn’t appear to be a fisherman or swimmer.

“It was quite disturbing and sad,” Johnson said of the grisly discovery. “Finding a dead body is uncomfortable. You think about the person, their family and what could have happened, just tragic.”

The marshes that Singh’s body washed up in are due south of the Verrazano Bridge at Assateague.

This story appears in the print version of Ocean City Today on Oct. 15, 2021.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.