dangling suv

An SUV was seen dangling over the edge of the Route 90 Bridge on Sunday afternoon, after a multi-vehicle crash left the road closed for hours.

UPDATE: 2:20 p.m.

Ocean City Police said on Monday that eight people – including a 2-year-old child – were sent to the hospital on Sunday following a crash on the Route 90 Bridge involving five vehicles.

After a preliminary investigation, police said, it appears multiple crashes occurred on the bridge.

At the time of the OCPD release, all individuals, except for the child, have been released from the hospital.

The release added that the Good Samaritan who jumped off the bridge to save the child wishes to remain anonymous at this time.


(May 3, 2021) A crash on the Route 90 bridge on Sunday resulted in several smashed-up vehicles, an SUV dangling over the edge, and a child in the water.

Though horrific sounding, there were no fatalities thanks to the quick response of several good Samaritans and emergency crews.

The accident with injuries was reported at approximately 2:47 p.m., and crews from Ocean City Fire and the Ocean City Police departments were dispatched to the scene. When a Worcester County fire marshal arrived, he reported that one vehicle was halfway over the bridge guardrail and that several people had suffered injuries, according to a press release from the Ocean City Fire Department.

As a result of the accident, a child was ejected into the Assawoman Bay, directly below the dangling vehicle.

A good Samaritan, who fire department officials did not identify on Monday morning, jumped over the guardrail to save the child, falling 20-25 feet into four to five feet of water.

Ryan Whittington, a spokesman for the department, said the child was flown to the pediatric unit at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

Six other people injured in the accident were taken to area hospitals — Atlantic General in Berlin and Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury for treatment.

Whittington said other children were on the scene, though exact details were still being compiled.

Officials said the bridge was closed for six hours after crews arrived on the scene.

The cause of the accident is still under investigation.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.